by Julie Childs, Board President-San Juan Ridge Community Library
Phone: 292-3008 during open hrs.
· Wi-fi and computers available for public use
· Work stations and comfortable seating
· Book sale shelf, DVD’s for checkout, periodicals, children’s room
· Experienced staff on hand
· An ever-evolving collection of wonders to listen to, read, and watch.
Happily we received our 79 brand new children’s books, donated to us through a grant from the Libri Foundation out of Eugene, OR (pictured at right). The SJR Community Library is so grateful to the Libri Foundation for doing the work they do, which is supporting small rural libraries like ours by donating new, quality, children’s books for the purpose of developing a love of reading at an early age. It has been shown that this love, if developed, will last a lifetime.
Here are some ideas to encourage this love to read;
· Make time to read, an hour a day. Visit the library once a week.
· Parents, read the books your children are reading. This will stimulate discussions.
· When kids see their parents reading, they will become readers also.
· Magazines and newspapers are fun for reading as well.
· Come check out some of our many audio books for your car trips!
Thanks to Diana Pasquini for setting up the new car donation program described elsewhere in this newsletter! We are excited about this additional source of funding.
We will be announcing information about our summer reading program soon. Look out for your community library in the Cherry Festival parade!
The Tapestry Project is ongoing Tue 1pm-3pm and Thu 10am-12pm. New stitchers are welcomed, no experience necessary!