Help is Here for Simple Tax Returns
Tax season is upon us again. This year we have two great free resources in our community to help Nevada County residents get through the paperwork and get those taxes filed. Here are the details:
AARP Tax Aide
AARP offers free tax help for people of any age with low and moderate income. Volunteers are trained and IRS-certified each year to ensure they are up-to-date with U.S. tax code revisions. You do not need to be a member of AARP or a retiree to use this service.
Tax assistance is by appointment only. Appointments are available on Mondays from 9 am to 3 pm beginning February 1st and ending April 11th. Call 211 Monday-Friday 8:30 to 5 to schedule your appointment.
Department of Child Support Services
The Nevada County Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) provides free tax preparation assistance on simple tax returns to help those who are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) claim it on their 2015 taxes. EITC is a benefit for individuals and families with low to moderate income. The credit can range from $2 to $6,242, but you must file a federal tax return in order to claim your EITC.
Beginning January 26th, DCSS will hold drop-in clinics for those who need assistance filing their simple tax returns. Clinics will be held Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 3 pm through April 15th. Evening appointments will be available upon request.
Those who would like assistance should bring the following:
· Photo ID for you and your spouse (if filing jointly)
· Social Security card and birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents you are claiming
· W-2s for all jobs held in 2015
· 1099 forms (such as 1099MISC, 1099G, 1099Int) from 2015
· For direct deposit (and a faster refund), bring your savings/checking account number
· Your spouse, if married and filing jointly
· If you paid for child care, documentation listing provider name, address, Tax ID# and amount paid
The tax clinic will be held at the DCSS office at the Rood Center, 950 Maidu Avenue, Nevada City. Enter through the Social Services lobby. For more information, call 211 or DCSS at 530-265-7097.